I like canning to be a simple as possible so here is what works for me
- Place clean jars (without lids) on a cookie sheet and place in an oven that has been preheated to 250 degrees. This will sterilize the jars. They need to stay in the oven for at least 10 minutes.
- While the jars are warming, start boiling the water in your canner. It may take longer than 10 mintues for a rolling boil to occur. That is fine. Leave the jars in the oven until the canner is boiling.
- Boil some more water in a kettle and pour over the sealers in a small bowl. This will sterilize the sealers and soften the rubber as well.
- Remove the jars from the oven and fill the hot sauce (In my case, I used my homemade tomato and apple sauces) . Use a funnel and laddle. Fill to within 1/2-1/4 from the top of the jar.
- Place a sealer on each jar and screw on the lid as tight as you can. Use oven mitts as the jars will be hot!!!
- Place jars in the canner (which should be boiling by now) by using the wire rack that comes with the canner. Make sure there is at least a couple of inches of water above the top of the jars.
- Remove jars from the water and place on the counter to cool. AS they cool, you should hear a "pop" as the jars seals. Once the jars have cooled, test the seal of each jar by pressing the middle of the sealer. If it springs back, the seal did not take. The jar can be placed in the fridge and consumed within a week or so.
I would say that number 1 of my 12 Things was a success!