Some of my favourite flavours at Christmas time are chocolate (hello?!?!) and peppermint together.
These cookies are always a hit at cookie exchanges because of their unique "boot track" shape. The addition of crushed candy canes adds a really festive feel to these cookies.
They are also a snap to mix up and bake on a waffle iron for those last minute baking gifts.
Candy Cane Waffle Cookies
- 1/2 cup apple sauce (unsweetened)
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- 6 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/4 cup crushed candy canes
- 1/2 teaspoon instant coffee, (optional)
- dust with icing sugar before serving (as pictured)
- serve warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream drizzled with chocolate sauce