Healthy (truly) sugar, egg and sweetener free cookies?
Made with whole wheat flour?
Is it possible?
And did I mention each cookie only 45 calories?!?!
Update: I may have eaten 3 of these cookies for breakfast. LOL
I was inspired by Chocolate Covered Kate and her use of pureed dates as a sugar substitute in some of her baking. If you haven't checked out her recipes, you should. Some incredible decedent desserts that are good for you!
Healthy Sugar Free Pumpkin Cookies (30 cookies)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup of pureed pumpkin (canned or fresh - not pumpkin pie mix)
- 1 teaspoon of almond or vanilla extract
- 1 cup of unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 cup of pureed pitted dates (6-8 pitted dates pureed in a food processor)
- 1 cup of whole wheat flour
- 1 cup of all purpose flour (or just use another cup of whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/8 teaspoon of sea salt
NOTE - These cookies are not the usual overly sweet cookies we are used to. They have just a touch of sweet that goes really well with a pumpkin latte or sup of tea. If you like a little more sweet, then add a couple of tablespoons of honey to the wet ingredients or a handful of raisins or chocolate chips to the batter.
Disclosure - This recipe is being entered into the "My Cookies are the Best" contest on the Food Bloggers of Canada. I could win a trip to the Food Bloggers of Canada conference thanks to the Manitoba Canola Growers